Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Google's Self Driving Car

Sometimes I am completely amazed by Google's projects... For two reasons, first what they do is often mind-boggling and second sometimes I don’t know why they do it.

The following is a perfect example of what I mean.

Google has developed a car that drives itself. Honest!, nobody steers it, accelerates it, or puts the brakes on. Google has modified two models, an Audi TT and a Toyota Prius for the experiment.

I know what you are thinking…big deal, they hitch a remote control up to a Prius and drive down the street in a straight line.

Wrong! Google’s self driving cars have traveled more than 140,00 miles in "real traffic".

OK, so how does it work? Honestly, I have no idea…google uses radar, laser sensors and video cameras. Combined together these devises detect twists and turns in the road and other cars. Notice how vague I was with this explanation? That's because I have no real idea how it works.

Google's self driving car is truly an amazing invention…what google intends to do with it remains to be seen.

The video below shows a google car on the road...yes, someone is in the car, but they act as an overseer, not a driver.




No comments: