Monday, May 02, 2011

Internet Explorer Continues Decline


For the past two years or so I have used both Chrome and Firefox as my Internet browser. I gave up completely on Internet Explorer after a bad virus crippled my computer. I read that most hackers design programs to attack Internet Explorer, so I figured if I dumped IE the chances of getting another costly computer virus would lessen significantly...and fortunately, it has.

Apparently, I am not the only person to discover that there is a world outside Internet Explorer.

The most recent statistics on Internet browser use shows that IE has dropped to its lowest point in history... capturing only 55.1% of Internet users. At one time this figure hovered around 90%.

Of course, a decrease in IE use means an increase in the use of other Internet browsers.

Here is a list of the world's main browsers and their market share:

Microsoft Firefox 21.6%
Google Chrome 12%
Apple Safari 7.2%
Opera 2.1%

I rarely use Safari and have never used Opera so I hold judgment on these, but Firefox and Chrome are both excellent browsers. They will continue to take more and more market share from Internet Explorer in the coming years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quote: "IE has dropped to its lowest point in history... capturing only 55.1% of Internet users."

That's not entirely correct. That may be the lowest point since IE's ascendancy, but Netscape was by far the most dominant browser (with something like 90% market share) before Microsoft leveraged their OS monopoly (illegally) to play catch up. IE did exist for some time before that.

Anonymous said...

Microsoft Firefox? I think you mean Mozilla.