Wednesday, July 06, 2011

3D Not For Me

I don't like 3D TVs...not yet anyway.

I find the need to put glasses on to see the 3rd dimension uncomfortable, cumbersome, awkward, annoying, irritating, vexing and down right ridiculous.
I truly can't understand why in this day and age "they" can't figure out how to make 3D TV that works without glasses.

Here is how the brain digests 3D... "3D glasses work by providing a separate image to each eye. The brain then combines the two images into a single image with 3D characteristics. The 3D process fools your brain into thinking it is seeing a 3D image, so it creates one for you". (about.com)

Yeah but, about.com forgot to add the glasses are uncomfortable, cumbersome, awkward, annoying, irritating, vexing and down right ridiculous.

There are actually two types of 3D glasses, Passive and Active.
Passive glasses are less expensive than Active, but the resolution is far inferior to Active glasses and they are uncomfortable, cumbersome, awkward, annoying, irritating, vexing and down right ridiculous.

Active glasses create a great picture but are expensive and uncomfortable, cumbersome, awkward, annoying, irritating, vexing and down right ridiculous, too.

I remember when I was a kid I went to the Strand Theater in Malden to see my first 3D movie. It was called 13 Ghosts. It was 1960 and I was nine years old. When I walked in to the movie theater I was handed a pair of "3D glasses so I could see the ghosts. I found the glasses uncomfortable, cumbersome, awkward, annoying, irritating, vexing and down right ridiculous.

Now, 41 years later it is time for the 3D world to change.

No comments: