Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Li-Fi











This morning in its Technology section The New York Times published an articles about "Li-Fi".
You know, I can't keep up with this stuff.

Do you mean you are unfamiliar with Li-Fi?
There it is again, Li-Fi. You see, I told you I can't keep up with this stuff. Am I supposed to know what Li-Fi is/does? I hope not, because I've never heard of it.

According to the New York Times article, Li-Fi is going to make us forget Wi-Fi.
Hey, wait a minute I just figured out what Wi-Fi is/does never mind Li-Fi.

Li-Fi technology transmits "high-speed data streams wirelessly"... and cheaply.
Cheap!? I like cheap. You've got my attention...go on.

The article states data transfer by light is nothing new.
OK, so what's the big deal with Li-Fi then?

The big deal is LED versus incandescent light.
The only LED I've ever heard of is my HDTV or is that LCD?

LED stands for "light-emitting diodes" and they are the heart of Li-Fi.
Oh, I'm starting to get it now.

You are?
Yeah, incandescent bulbs can transmit data but they do it poorly, so the old technology stinks and LED technology is much better.

Yes, you are right.
And I would guess the difference between the two is "LED lights can be more finely controlled than traditional incandescent bulbs which makes light-based technology more practical and economical".

Right again.
See, I told you I was getting it. Li-Fi transmits data at a high speed cheaply using LED lights.

By George I think you've got it.
Who's George?

No comments: