Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Play Nice

When I was a little kid heading out to play my mother used to say to me "Anthony play nice with the other kids". As I got older I discovered this was good advice to follow even as an adult.

But, I get the impression Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's mother never gave him the same advice or he didn't listen to it.

Steve is talking tough to the other kids, I mean techie companies.



Here is a personal story illustrating how I learned playing nice was good advice, (truthfully, I made it out).

A long, long time ago, when I was a kid, this other little kid (I'll call him Richie Cunningham) came down to the park with a tennis racket. Before I knew it he and I were exchanging "words". Why, because he had a tennis racquet and I didn't. As our "disagreement escalated, Richie called his friend over (I'll call him Potsie).

Just then, for some reason I stopped being a jerk and said to myself..."Tony, what are you doing". You don't even like tennis. Why do you care if Richie and Potsie have a tennis racquet and you don't? Remember what ma said, Anthony (she called me that until the day she passed) play nice with the other kids".


But not Steve Ballmer, he must've missed this advice. He doesn't want to play nice...especially with Apple.

Everyone knows Microsoft became a technology giant by dominating the software market, not developing hardware. But now, that's not good enough. Ballmer wants Microsoft to have what the "other kids" have. Ballmer wants to challenge Apple's iPad, Apple's iPhone (hinting), and about every other thing Apple has. Basically, Ballmer wants Apple's tennis racquet.

Think I'm kidding about the tough talk?

Check out some of these quotes from "the CEO" while talking about Microsoft's new Surface tablet and future developments by his company:

"We are not going to leave any space uncovered to Apple.”

"We are not leaving any of that to Apple by itself. Not going to happen. Not on our watch.”


"
“We are not going to let any piece of this [go uncontested] … not the consumer cloud. Not hardware software innovation.”


Wow, these sound like fightin' words to me.

Hey, whatever happened to playing nice with the other kids Steven?



No comments: