Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Windows 8 is Really Different (seriously)


I explained in my last blog entry that I purchased a new Laptop computer last weekend (black Friday actually). My previous one "suddenly" crashed (I'm still upset about it).

     If you follow technology you probably know that ALL new Windows driven computers are now running on the new Windows 8 Operating System...And Windows 8 is different (much different) from Windows 7 or Vista (I hated Vista).

    Of course, like anyone else, I was excited when I unboxed my new laptop, but little did I know I was about to enter a totally different computer world (I might be exaggerating a little here).

     When I first powered up my new computer I immediately noticed the desktop was total different. Rather than icons it was full of square "tiles" (that's what Windows calls them).

The feature (or should I say the missing feature) that struck me most was the lack of a "Start Button" Aside: have you noticed I'm into using parenthesis today?

     It took me close to fifteen minutes (without exaggeration) to figure out how to do a Google search. And of course, a computer running a Microsoft OS comes preloaded with Internet Explore as its default browser. (Aside: I hate Internet Explore, by the way, have you noticed I'm into "asides" today, too?), so I downloaded Morzilla Firefox.

     I had absolutely no problem downloading...but after the file finished I couldn't find the folder holding the downloaded file to execute (finish) the installation. It took me fifteen minutes (without exaggeration) to find this folder.

     After an hour or so of playing with Windows 8 I decided to power it off and put it away. Remember, what I said earlier, Windows 8 does not have a "Start Button"...how the heck do you properly power down a Windows computer without a "Start Button"? (I had absolutely no idea).

      Finally after a good fifteen minutes (without exaggeration) I was able to power the computer off.

    Now, please don't get me wrong...I am not opposed to new things. I actually like learning how to use new things. In fact after using Windows 8 for a week now, I love it (no, I'm not exaggerating).

     The main purpose of this story is to explain how radically different Windows 8 is from any of Microsoft's previous Windows Operating Systems.  

No comments: